Thursday, September 27, 2012

High in the Himalayas, brothers share one wife

Found this on AFP:

When Tashi Sangmo was 17 she married a 14-year-old neighbour in a remote Himalayan village in Nepal and, as part of the package, she also agreed to wed his younger brother.
In ancient times, the sons of almost every family in the region of Upper Dolpa would jointly marry one woman but the practice of polyandry is dying out as the region begins to open up to modern life.
"Things are easier this way because everything we have stays in one family. It doesn't get divided among many wives and it is me in charge," said Sangmo, who uses a dialect of Tibetan and was speaking through an interpreter.
"Two brothers bring in the money and it's me who decides what to do with it."
Photo released by www.thegreathimalayatrail.org on September 18. Tashi Sangmo Lama, 31, (2nd L) with 25-year old Pasang Lama (R), one of the two husbands in her polyandrous marriage, and their eight-year-old son Pema (2nd R) taking tea with a relative (L) at their home.

The idea of being in a polyandrous relationship is quite interesting. I don't think it's the same as cuckoldry, maybe similar in certain aspects but not totally the same. I fancy the idea of having more than one man at a time but not brothers.

But polyandry prevents the practice of each generation of a family dividing their holdings, and food supplies just manage to cover the locals' basic needs...

Unlike most men in conservative, predominantly Hindu Nepal, husbands in polyandrous marriages handle domestic duties, helping with cooking and childcare, while women are in charge of the money.
This is the lifestyle I WANT: I manage the finances while my men handle domestic chores. Heaven!


5 comments:

  1. I've always had a 'thing' for cuckuldry. I can see a certain appeal here.

    And a life where I wouldn't have to manage finances would be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Charles? You're a rare animal. Most men have a hard time giving up their purse strings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just bad with money. I hate dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm good with money. Want me to handle your finances? Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I'm not *that* bad with it, Miss. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...