Saturday, December 29, 2012

James Franco Directing a Documentary about Kink.com

I saw on TMZ a few days ago that James Franco is directing a movie about the site Kink.com. He will be working with Princess Donna Dolore who is known for her fisting skills.

Photo taken from PerezHilton.com

The movie is about the interesting history of Kink.com.

What caught my attention was how the segment was introduced or mentioned on TMZ. The voice over said something about James Franco joining the S & M "pop culture."

S & M is pop culture? I didn't know that. Is this the same as the Twilight franchise? The books and the movies made vampires very popular. Or maybe the same as the effect of the movie The Craft and the TV series Charmed on people's interest in wicca or witchcraft. I remember seeing a some girls dying their hair dark and dabbling in wiccan culture here in the Philippines.

If it's true that S & M is becoming a part of pop culture, is this good or bad?

3 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this for a bit and I cannot seem to pick a side. One one hand, I would love for people to accept us (those that are into the alternative lifestyles) as we are and not see us as deviants. But then on the other hand, I could see scenarios where it would not be beneficial. I see Twilight (and vampires) as an infatuation. Unless I am missing something, it is just a strong interest in stuff of that nature. For us, it is more of a sexual preference. If our interests were brought to light, analyzed, etc. in the mainstream, it might be to our detriment. We might be frowned upon even more for our activities because I am certain that with any positive light shinned on our 'kinks', there will be negativism. Several years ago, I used to regularly visit some women at my office and request them to walk on my back. It was mostly playful interactions (even when I had up to 4 women standing on me at once), but deep down in my heart, I knew it was because of my trample fetish. They just saw it as helping me 'crack my back' or something of that nature. What would have happened if they knew about the trample fetish? How would they react if I asked them? Would they see it as sexual harassment? I don't know. But at that instance, I was fairly secure that nothing bad would come of the situation. Even if they understood the trampling fetish, they might have seen it as inappropriate to even ask. Who knows...

    So... basically, I am not sure which way I would lean. I can see good and bad out of each side and I am just as confused now as when I started typing this free flowing set of thoughts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be nice to have our subculture culture a little more out in the open. It seems to have been getting more commonly known (and more accepted at the same rate) for a while now. Big celebrities and films like this actually talking about it could do wonders to making us all less secretive and more popular. Or I may be being an optimist.

    Do we think '500 Pages of Rubbish' or whatever it's called is responsible for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, 50 Shades of Whatever helped turn BDSM into pop culture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...